Skin Brushing 101
Skin brushing… yes, it's a real thing! Apparently, Victoria’s Secret models swear by it. Who knew?!
The skin is actually the largest organ of the body, so it's crucial to take care of it! (I became super obsessed with skincare over the past year- it makes SUCH a difference!)
Dry brushing the skin helps to unclog pores and excrete toxins that get trapped in the skin. (Hello, detoxing!)
It’s also great for stimulating the lymphatic system and reducing cellulite. (Ummm…. Count me IN!!!)
It's super easy to do- just follow the steps below:
- Get naked and stand dry in a bathtub. Don't wet your skin.
- Begin brushing- starting at your feet, moving in long sweeping motions toward your heart. Always brush toward your heart. (Good for circulation!)
- Brush several times in each area overlapping as you go.
- Take care as you brush over more sensitive areas (like, your boobs... just saying.) Your skin will become less sensitive the more often you dry brush.
- Don’t forget your back! (This is where the loooong handle comes in handy… or you can make your significant other help you out- wink, wink!)
- Once you’ve brushed your entire body, start the shower. TIP: For added benefits, you can alternate between hot water and the coldest water you can stand… this stimulates more blood circulation, and promotes healthy mitochondria... (mitochondria = the little powerhouses of our cells that control pretty much everything in our bodies.)
- After getting out of the shower, pat skin dry and slather yourself with body grade coconut oil.
- Continue to dry brush your entire body daily. Remember to clean your brush with soap and water at least once a week, then leave it to dry in a clean, sunny spot to avoid mildew accumulation.
You want a non-synthetic brush with hard bristles and a long handle. Here is the one I use, from Amazon