Get Beach-Ready FAST!
We’ve all been there…
That “Oh sh*t!” moment when you suddenly wish you had started preparing for a beach vacation or an event a LOT sooner…
Or should I say, you suddenly wish you hadn’t drank 4 beers and 2 margaritas, followed by 2 slices of pizza and 1/2 bag of Cheetos last night. Just me???
In my past life of fitness modeling I had multiple times when I got a phone call and was asked to be photo-shoot-ready in a matter of 2 weeks… or less. GULP.
You might think if you are under that 2-week mark before a big event or a beach vacay its pretty much hopeless at this point…
Buuuuut, I’m here to tell you it’s NOT!!! (Trumpets sound!! Cherubs dance!!)
Although you can’t drastically change your body in less than 2 weeks (nor should you try- that’s not healthy, babes) you CAN make visible changes and tighten up a bit in even as little as 1 week.
Here are some “tricks of the trade” that can help you feel lighter, tighter and more fabulous in just 7-10 days!
my Top Tips for Getting Beach-Ready FAST:
1. DON'T crash diet!!! Although this might SEEM like a solution I promise you, it’s not! Our bodies are smart, and under eating will actually send your body a signal to store more fat as an energy source. Plus, this causes damage to your metabolism. Basically the body says, “Oh, we’re not taking in as many calories? Okay. Time to slow down our metabolism.” You have to eat to burn!
2. Increase your water intake, right away. Our cells retain water when they don’t have enough of it. Drink at least 2-3 liters of water each day (I personally drink around 4 liters most days, but this depends on your usual water intake and your activity level).
3. Cut out foods that cause bloat. Ditch processed foods (if you can’t pronounce the ingredients on the label that would be a NO), starchy carbs, salt, condiments and ANYTHING with artificial sweeteners. Note: Do yourself a giant favor and cut out artificial sweeteners forever… they are horrendous, and shouldn’t even be legal in my opinion. But that’s a rant for another day.
4. Eat foods with diuretic properties. Foods like asparagus, fresh lemon, celery, beets, parsley, cucumber and raw tomatoes all act as natural diuretics, which help the body flush out water. Also, potassium-rich foods such as bananas, avocados and dark leafy greens like spinach help the body to shed extra water weight. Score!
5. Fill up on lean protein and fiber. Again, I can’t stress enough, you gotta eat to burn! So fill up on lean proteins like chicken & turkey breast, fish, whole eggs or egg whites, Greek yogurt, and high quality protein powder. (I like a plant based protein, personally) It’s also SUPER important to get enough fiber, even when it may feel tempting to restrict carbs. Fiber detoxes the body and keeps us regular… SO important to decrease bloating! Some awesome sources of fiber are berries, chia seeds, flax seeds, leafy greens, avocados, artichokes, broccoli, beans, fiber-packed bran cereals, and acacia fiber powder. And of course, fiber-packed GG crackers… these little babies rock my world. I’m obsessed.
6. Incorporate some HIIT (high intensity interval training) or circuit training workouts into your routine. These types of workouts blast more fat and calories in less time, and also provide a larger after-burn effect, meaning your metabolism stays revved for a longer time post-workout. No clue where to start? Many gyms offer classes that incorporate HIIT workouts- such as spinning, kickboxing, boot camps, etc. Or your can do some sprints- one of my favorite workouts to get leaner, fast!
7. Sweat, baby, sweat! If you can fit it into your schedule take a few hot yoga classes the week before an event. Anyone who has taken hot yoga will tell you you come out feeling a whole lot lighter! You can also hit a sauna or steam room. Also, those old-school neoprene waist wraps might seem like a huge joke, but wearing one during a cardio the week before an event will actually help you to shed water and feel tighter in the midsection. Its important to note this effect is temporary, but very visible none the less. Sweating also gives your skin a nice, healthy glow. Just be sure to replenish the body with plenty of water- see Tip #2!
8. Get your beauty sleep! Not getting enough sleep can prevent your body from dropping fat. A lack of sleep will also take a toll on your daytime energy levels, causing lackluster workouts and major cravings for sugary foods. Getting a little extra shut-eye before a big event or vacation will allow you to look AND feel your best!
9. Exfoiliate and get bronzed. Scrub off dry, dead skin cells with a body brush in circular motions. This will not only give you radiant skin, but it also promotes better circulation which can reduce the appearance of cellulite. (Read all about the benefits of body brushing here.) Then get a tan… Really. Everyone looks leaner tan! Soaking up harmful UV rays is NEVER a good idea, (and let’s be honest, is so 2000-and-late) so instead try one of the billion options from airbrush tanning, to spray tanning booths, to at-home lotions and potions. I love, love, LOVE MineTan self tanning foam… so easy & quick! Just apply it with a mitt, and you can shower the color off after 1-3 hours!
10. Last but certainly not least… Have confidence! Nothing is more attractive than confidence. So stand tall, head up, shoulders back, practice good posture and just OWN IT. Your body is what it is today, so you might as well just go ahead and accept it, love it, and flaunt what you've got! See all of my confidence tips here.